Welcome!

This is a blog dedicated to the art and science of selling. How many of us grew up planning a career in sales? How many college class catalogs have a course called "Sales 101"? (Please don't confuse sales with marketing in the course catalogs.) How much study have we given to this rewarding profession?



Facts are, the overwhelming majority of sales people "fell" into sales. Unless we work for a larger company with professional development budgets, most of us have never had formal training in the profession. And let's face it, most sales people simply "wing it" on the sales call. None of this is good for our success or profession.



This blog looks to promote more art and science into the profession of sales so that your results, either as an individual contributor or as a sales leader, become better, more predictable and sustainable. Many years of b2b sales experience and management experience give me a vast reservoir of sales and leadership wisdom to share with you. I am glad you came and I hope you contribute.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"Discounts and Buyer Behavior - Where's The Logic?"

Everybody wants a deal. Even if the client is dead set on your product or service, you may very well have to provide a perceived price concession just to seal the deal. As a sales pro, you’ve been there before, haven’t you? Well here’s my question: when it comes to comparing costs and gaining price concessions, why does the buyer often favor the cost and/or concession when it is framed as a “discount” even though your effective price, after the discount, may still be higher than your competitor’s?

I have run into many situations where when it was time to consider price, the buyer compared only the discounts, not the list price or rack rate with the discount. Doesn’t it make perfect sense to do the latter and is it not foolish to do only the former? Look at marketing collateral everywhere – “discount!”, “discount!”, “discount!” is sometimes all that is printed. Why is the buyer in love with discounts, and not actual prices? I don’t get it.

I even try to put myself in the buyer’s shoes, I am one from time to time, and I still cannot develop the love affair with the discount in my choice of products and services. But it is always there! Back in my sales shoes, I experimented once and left discounts out of the cost page of my proposals and showed only actual pricing. I wanted to be simple and direct with my prospects in the belief that such an approach would improve my success. My win rate declined. Lesson learned there: always show your costs as a discount to something! And be prepared to bump the discount up a few points just to seal the deal. Everybody wants a deal.

In a perfect world, us sales pro’s would always be selling value and our buyers would always be buying value, thereby negating the need to spend much time on pricing and discounts. But it’s always there to consider. I just simply marvel over the attention a discount gets above and beyond that for the effective net price. Everybody wants a deal – “hey, I just got 30% off!” “Off of WHAT?!” I ask!!

No comments:

Post a Comment